I relish telling stories in many different forms, mostly with a sprinkle of humour, and have always been enchanted by live theatre.
So I write fiction, non-fiction, and poetry, and work in theatre as well.
Qualifications Ba (Hons Eng Lit 1st Class) 1971 Dip Ed (Mac Uni) 1972 ATCL (London) 1971
Academic Tutor (Eng Lit) MACU 1975-8 (Drama) Une 1979-84 Ait (Communics) 1985-92
Freelance Writer (1975-Present)
- Reviewer Sydney Morning Herald 1975-8 Australian 1981-4 New Zealand Herald
- Feature writer (travel, general) Manchester Guardian, The Age, Sydney Morning Herald, Washington Post, New Zealand Herald, Classroom (Scholastic)
- Children’s plays: Musical participation plays Marian Street Theatre for Young People, Killara: The Black Prince, She Sells Seashells, The Bee and the Butterfly, The Last Bunyip, Zoo Escapade, Hidden Treasure, Animalympics, Maya and the Sea Dragon, Once Upon A Time, Alice, The Ugly Duckling, Beauty and the Beast, Rumpelstiltskin, The Emperor’s New Clothes, The Golden Fish, Sleeping Beauty, The Frog Prince 1977-2019, Space Symphony, The Little Drummer Boy (Proms), CDP Productions, SOH 2013
- Adult Plays: Yarns and Woolly Tales, Gold!, Mirrors Drama Dept UNE, 1981-4, Crossing, Pioneers in Petticoats, Matilda Fish and the Bushranger, Gold, Alice, Blaxland and Daughter Productions 2013-6
- Adult Books: Good Old Days, Good Old Ways (Reader’s Digest, 1999), Ready to Go Drama Lower/Middle/Upper Primary (Blake Education 2004)
- Children’s Books: See website list for all 117 books. Series include 24 books with Cambridge University Press (Bright Sparks and Pobblebonk series), 24 books with Macmillan Education: I Can Cook! series: American Food, Chinese Food (Honour Book SWW), French Food, Italian Food, Mexican Food, Middle Eastern Food 2011, How Are They Made? series: Basketballs, Bottles and Jars, Cans, Guitars, Helmets, Jumpers, Knives and Forks, Paper, Pencils, Plates and Mugs, Sneakers, T shirts, 2006-8, 10 books with Scholastic Reading Discovery Series 1996-7 (prize-winning for educational excellence), 2 books Thomas Nelson 1997-200, 3 books Rigby Education 1996-7, 15 books Barrie (1997-2000), 8 books Sunshine Books NZ 1996-2019, The Princess and the Unicorn Penguin/Happy Cat UK, also read on BBC4 TV, 6 books Blake Education 2001-6, 2 books Watts 2003-4, 2 books Nelson, The Christmas Rose Walker Books Aust 2014, script Maya and the Sea Dragon MSTYP 2019
- TV: ‘Play School’, ABC, scriptwriter 1998- 2000
- Poetry: Children’s poems in the NSW School Magazine 2006-2018, and Lines in the Sand anthology Frances Lincoln (England) 2003
- Adult Poetry: 18 poems 2019-2021 in anthologies, magazines and on-line in Australia (Meniscus), the US (The Closed Eye Open) Canada (Cathexis) and Norway (Griffel).
- Children’s prose: 8 stories with Teachers 4 Teachers 2007, 1 with New Worlds Old World Other Worlds anthology (CBCA NSW Eastern Suburbs) 2021
- Academic publications: critical work in 1975 and 1983, papers at conferences.